A big, warm welcome to the month of July &
a Happy Happy Birthday to CANADA today.
Time for some celebrations perhaps? I wish they could be watching in a location like this but I’ll settle for our local, slightly less serene city firework display.
So far I’ve started the celebrations on a chilly note to match the weather. It’s July 1st and I’m wearing a sweatshirt? Summer, why do you hide?
- 2/3 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, frozen mango, frozen strawberries, 1/2 scoop strawberry protein powder, spoonful cocoa powder, handful spinach
Paired with two cups of black coffee because I was literally shivering while drinking this. And just because I love coffee.
My day hasn’t moved past my couch so far, then again it’s still early in the am.
But that being said, yesterday on the whole wasn’t much different than this morning has been, with a little too much time spent on the couch. It was legit though, my emotions needed downtime. (Guys are mean. And I’m a suck.)
I was in need of home remedy style therapy.
How does one achieve such therapy? Let me count the ways:
1. A bowl of hot pumpkin scottish oats – This was only slightly affective. In other words it didn’t help my mood at all.
- Scottish oats, wheat bran, flax, banana and pumpkin cooked in a cup of steeped pumpkin spice tea. Egg whites and sugar free maple syrup stirred in at the end.
Mighty Maple PB was going to make it into the bowl as well but I ended up eating it right off the spoon. Oops. There goes my impatience again.
2. A workout. Treadmill HIIT followed by Level 3 Shred to be exact. This helped my mood…temporarily. Until the endorphin high wore off at least.
It might have been even more effective had I rocked out in an outfit like this:
3. A mom chat. These are always good. But sometimes they just make you want to cry. Or actually cry. But sometimes crying is good. But eventually it’s just exhausting.
4. A baking session. Preferably involving butter, sugar and peanut butter in the form of Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars. I made one quarter of the recipe and still got a decent sized little pan.
I may have slightly overbaked it.
But whatever. Pb&J anyone?
This therapy method did help. Never underestimate the power of baking.
5. Eating in general. Oh yes I emotionally ate. Once in a while some of it was healthy. Like the carrots? Or the spinach… minus the cream cheese that was stirred into it. But spinach + cream cheese + buffalo sauce = goodness therefore worth it. That other corner is potatoes.
6. Evening walks. Especially summer evening walks when the sun is still up and warm, the sky is blue, and the wind is brisk. Perfection.
7. Time. After a good number of hours wallowing I was wallowed out and feeling better. At least moderately.
8. Pictures. I am currently spending way too much time perusing pretty pictures. Mainly on weheartit as is seen by all pictures on here right now that are not food pictures. But I love my visuals and some of them really can put a smile on your face.
What are your go-to methods of home remedy style therapy?
Happy Canada Day fellow Canadians & Happy July all around!